Upgrading to energy-efficient lighting is a great way to reduce your energy bills, but the benefits go far beyond that. Lighting upgrades have been shown to improve productivity, increase safety and boost profitability.
In education, a study by the California Board for Energy Efficiency concluded that students exposed to daylight showed improvement on math and reading tests.
- Retail facilities can see an increase in sales, as improved lighting invites more interaction with products. One study found that a lighting upgrade plus daylighting increased sales by as much as 20 percent.
- Healthcare facilities have seen a reduction in adverse drug events after a lighting upgrade. Pharmacists using task lighting have a 10 percent reduction in product verification errors.
- Manufacturing plants with improved lighting have reported a decrease in workplace accidents.
A growing number of building owners and businesses are switching to light-emitting diodes (LEDs) because they offer a number of potential benefits:
- High energy efficiency
- Long rated life (50,000 to 100,000 hours)
- Resistance to vibration and breakage
- Excellent light quality
Remember that LED performance can vary significantly by manufacturer. Make sure the product is ENERGY STAR rated or tested according to Illuminating Engineering Society standards.
Image source: iStock